Tuesday, September 25, 2007

NEW PHOTOS!



I’ve posted photos! There are too many to post up here so please check out my Picasa site for the full set! The link is on the lower right side. Oh, Danny and Gram- regarding the photo of the fern…It’s actually a tree fern…either a ponga or a black tree fern.

With a heavy heart I left Totaranui. What an amazing place and a wonderful family! I hope that my experiences to come can rival it. Thanks Adi, Adrian & Keelan! I will miss you!

Wellington was a great city. I spent two days at the YHA…and to be honest it was a big retail therapy trip. I shopped, rode the old cable car up to the Botanical Gardens (which were beautiful). I’d say they are right up there with the Boboli Gardens in Florence. I had lunch at J.J. Murphy’s, an Irish pub. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to charge my camera battery before I left for Wellington so I didn’t get any photos. But I may go back.

Now I’m in Nelson. Adi and Adrianne dropped me off on en route to a ski trip they are taking. What a great little town. Nelson is THE sunniest place in the South Island (so they claim). It’s at the very top of the South Island right on the Golden Coast, just south of the Abel Tasman National Park. There’s lots of art and craftsmen, coffee shops, restaurants and galleries. The Nelson Market is held every Saturday, where artists sell their goods on the street. The night I arrived, I met a traveling nurse from the UK. We walked into town to get some wine and then headed back to the hostel where there was an acoustic guitar jam session in full swing. What a fun way to kick things off.

This morning I got up early, as I like to do when I’m in a new place. I like to get out and watch the town wake up….get a cup of coffee, see the shops put out their signs, and plan what I will do for the day. Most of the activity and buzz is on Hardy Street and around the cathedral. I visited the jeweler that created the rings for the movie “The Lord of the Rings”! They have several of them on display in various sizes because when they were filmed, they needed large and small sizes. It was actually quite interesting.

So my next step is to find a job! I’ll keep you posted…

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Kelly,
Your photos are incredible! It sounds like you had a wonderful stay with Adi and Adrianne. What wonderful hosts to have shared so much of their customs and life with you.

Now its time for a new adventure! Enjoy Nelson. I can't wait to hear about what's next!

Marms

Anonymous said...

Kelly,It's hard to find a word to describe your new photos - awesome seems right.I hope the rest of your travels can equal your time with Adi and Adrianne.I am happy you were fortunate to find such caring people.On to Nelson! Love ya, Gram

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the harbor with the fog, great shot!

Anonymous said...

Is that a rhododendron tree?! That is just crazy big. Gorgeous photos. Oh - and since this is at least your second LOTR reference...and that whole wine thing didn't work out...:-) If you come across a cheapo, Tolkien connected, easy-to-pack-in-your-suitcase thing-a-ma-bobber. Feel free to bring it back for your dear Zia Christa.