Thursday, May 17, 2007

The beginning of the end...

So Tuesday morning I gave notice. I had been waivering back and forth for awhile between giving 5, 4 and 3 weeks...what was best, and how I would do it. A conversation with a friend the night before kind of pushed my decision to 4 weeks. I felt like it was enough time for them to start looking and maybe even find a replacement for me before I leave. I was extremely nervous, being the first time I've had to do this and I was trying not to laugh (out of nervousness). It was probably the funniest resignation my boss has ever had. He was completely understanding and not upset like I imagined he would be. He told me that New Zealand is beautiful and I'll love it there!

So now that it's done, it feels a little weird knowing I won't be working there anymore. I don't think it's hit me completely yet. Six years is a long time to work somewhere...but I keep reminding myself that change is good.

On a funny note, anyone who is close to Kayde (my sister) and I know about our fear of spiders. So today we had a lovely little exchange about what kind of spiders I will find in New Zealand. I think the winner was the avondale spider, which "frightens people with it's speed when startled" and it can be up to 8" wide with the legs stretched out. Can't wait to see that....

4 comments:

Vic said...

What an incredible adventure. Having stayed for extensive periods in both Vermont and New Zealand, I envy your beautiful surroundings.

My last trip to NZ was ten years ago. It was my third trip. Aside from the horrendous distance from the East Coast to Auckland, I adored being there. If that country wasn't so far away, I'd visit more often.

Good luck in your new ventures!

Anonymous said...

Good thing you are going during the colder months! Maybe you won't see any of these creatures!! :)

Gram said...

I just found out that there are no snakes or venomous insects in NZ. Gramp would be glad to hear that ! I came upon a garden insect,Weta, that is as big as a mouse and scarier than that spider. Here is an interesting site: www.islandguide.biz/pacific/new_land_nature.htm.

Gram said...

P.S. By the way, the Weta is only found on the Little Barrier Island.:) So there shouldn't be any problems gardening. Go to: weta.boarsnest.net