Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A walk to town and a road trip to Le Bons Bay...



This past Sunday was another beautiful day and I was getting a serious case of Akaroa-fever. I had to get out of town. I decided to rent a car for the day to see some of the outlying areas around the Banks Peninsula. The car was outrageously priced but it was really the only place in town (that I was aware of) to get one. I set off around 10:30 and headed up to the summit road. This road runs along the top of the volcano ridge which is the highest point in the area. The views were stunning, and the road narrow and curvy. Once at the top, I started the descent down the other side to Le Bons Bay. I don’t think I needed to hit the gas for about 10-15 minutes. It was all brake. The landscape was so pretty. It starts as alpine/rocky/green fields at the top then changes to some forested areas and craggy rolling hills and pastures threaded with streams. It reminded me of Ireland but with tropical aspects.

The bay itself was amazing. Surrounded by huge hills on either side, I’ve never seen a beach with such a diverse landscape. There were pine and deciduous trees, sand dunes, and rocky cliffs. There seemed to be a mix of white and black sand. I took lots of photos (check them out on my photo link). There were lots of neat shells. Does anyone know what type of shell I’m holding in this pic?



There was still something living inside of it…otherwise, I would have kept it. :) I had the entire beach to myself except for a family that appeared a few minutes before I left.…it was nice but almost eerie. Especially for such a nice day.

On the way back into town, I stopped at the French Farm Winery for lunch. It’s located on the opposite side of Akaroa Harbour. I tried a glass of their Pinot Noir and had pasta carbonara. I didn’t like the wine much, but the pasta was very good. I was tempted to get dessert…the Sticky Toffee Pudding caught my eye but I figured I’d save the $$$.

Monday it was back to the cold weather. There was some sleet and rain throughout the day but it was productive…lots of cleaning.

On a side note, I’d like to take a second to thank everyone who has sent me a care package! (Marm, Kayde, Grammy and ZC) You are all so thoughtful and I’ve enjoyed everything (especially those cookies Marm!) The latest package came from Zia Christa. She sent me a watercolor travel kit. I’ve started to use it, but I’m rusty with my painting techniques so it may be awhile before I come up with something respectable! She also sent me something to keep the spiders at bay…and as promised…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can now breathe a sigh of relief knowing that you will be protected from creepy crawlies, at least from the neck up. Definitely my favorite picture yet.

Kathy said...

Keep that net handy. As it gets warmer and you do some hiking, you may need it for the mosquitoes! If you plan to have an extended stay anywhere, let me know right away. I can always make/send more cookies! Are they better than possum?
Beautiful photos.

Noah said...

Looks like you had a fun adventure! Was the water cold? I really liked the photo with the closeup of the rock and puddle (DSC_0135). Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I know - you know - how fortunate you are. Miss you lots.