Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wine or whine...you decide.



Today I decided to go to the wineries. I figured I should do it while I’m here…I’m spending all this money on the hotel, I might as well make the most of Blenheim. It is why I stopped here after all. I looked into tours but most companies that I spoke to aren’t running them now because it’s their off season. So the only other option was to rent a car. It’s too far to walk. I pondered this for awhile because it was expensive and I wanted to make sure it would be worth the money. I just decided to go for it…I’d just have to limit my tastings because I’d be driving.

Cloudy Bay Winery

I had a great time… I went to 5 or 6 different places. The scenery was really nice. Surprisingly, Pinot Noir is very big here…surprising because it’s not the ideal conditions for it but there are several outstanding varieties. I had a great (ie expensive & guilt-ridden) lunch at the Highfield Estate.

Highfield Estate

I wanted to buy wine for several of you as surprise gifts. I made my selections, and then excitedly made my way to back to town to the post office, picked out some mailing supplies and went up to the window. “We cannot mail wine to the USA and Canada” the voice from behind the counter stated. “Because of their regulations it’s not permitted.” So I sadly turned to put my mailers back and shuffled home in defeat. Why didn't I know this already?

I considered mailing them anyway but if they check them at customs, would I get a fine or in some sort of trouble? I’m so disappointed. Arrrggghhh!

So Marmy/Jim, ZC/UJ, and Eric….enjoy the photos of your wine.



2 comments:

Kathy said...

Here's what you can do....rent a locker in Christchurch and place them in there until you return to fly home. Then you can stash them in your already overloaded backpack! Sounds like a plan to me :o)

Or just enjoy them at the next hostel you visit!

Thanks for trying. Marmz

Anonymous said...

First of all, you are so sweet for buying these gifts. The surprise is still wonderful, even though I am not typing with a glass of NZ wine next to me. Then there is the added note of humor - not only for being turned away at the post office, but the tragedy of being stuck with all of those bottles of wine....hmmmm, what to do, what to do... DRINK UP!!! P.S. Can you tell me which bottle was for me and UJ so that I can stare longingly at the correct one?!