Monday, July 2, 2007

First night....

Wow. I am terrified. But enthralled at the same time. This place is UNBELIEVABLE. Pictures to come soon…..It’s 6:35 AM here and I can’t sleep.

I knew I’d be staying on a farm but I’m in a bit of a culture shock at the moment. It’s a lot to take in. Eckhard picked me up and we did some grocery shopping. The road to the farm It’s a long, winding, narrow dirt road. I believe there is a Maori settlement just down the road. The road to Hana in Hawaii has nothing on these roads! It’s hill country farming for sure. I wonder how the sheep graze on some of these hillsides. It’s so quaint and beautiful and rustic. I had the choice of staying in the cottage bunk room or the old apple hut. I chose the hut, mostly because it has an amazing view out the window, and because it’s insulated, unlike the cottage bunk room.. It looks like a little red shed on stilts from the outside.

Down by the main house there is a shower room and a separate toilet room for me to use…they are similar to something you’d see when camping. If ever I need to get over my fear of spiders, it has to be now…and God help me…. There are lots of them and they are big. Lots of varieties too. They are in every nook, every doorway, in the windows, the shower…..Kayde, I don’t think you’d last a day here. Honestly at this moment, that is my biggest fear. I know I sound like a mousy, spoiled, city girl but I’m trying hard to get past it. I heard fluttering early this morning in my room, so I flicked on the light to find about 10 black moths on the walls and one big spider in the corner. I had already killed one spider before I went to bed. I normally don’t kill them. I don’t like to…but my fear is getting the best of me at the moment. Earlier tonight Eckhard laughed at me when I told him my fear. He said “Have you seen the bathroom? There are some huge ones in there.” He kindly offered to remove them for me but I suspect that he won’t be doing that all the time. He said not to kill them because it’s bad luck. Right now it’s just he and I. His girlfriend returns from a trip to Austrailia in August and several more helpers start in November.

Last night we had dinner (roasted veggies and lamb sausage) and talked a lot about sheep farming and the difficulties that New Zealand farmers face and a little about working sheep dogs (he has three at the moment). Today there is a lady coming to review the B&B so we are going to start cleaning at 9 AM. We are also going to be moving some sheep.

It’s been cold here. I went to sleep with long johns, gloves and a hat. I have a small space heater that warmed the room up pretty well. Right now it’s raining outside, but the forecast is calling for snow. Because of this, Eckhard has to sell his lambs, otherwise they will be worthless because of weight loss, or die.

I will be proud of myself if I don’t let fear get the best of me here at least in the beginning. There are so many unknowns and I’m feeling on edge….but this is what I came here for, right?

More to come soon....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly, sounds like a great place! Hang in there, once you get through the first few days you will get adjusted to everything (maybe even the spiders).

It was funny to hear you call yourself a city girl. You grew up in the sticks of NH!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Kelly! Just give yourself some time to adjust and you'll be just fine! Glad to hear you're doing ok! Stay WARM!

Anonymous said...

ps. Should I send you some Raid?

geekclimber said...

great entry, and i can't wait to see pics.

having first hand knowledge of your fear of spiders i can appriciate your concern, but i must say if that is the biggest about spending months in New Zealand you are doing just fine.

stay warm, and don't let the sheep know the Ibex shirt is Morino wool form New Zealand, it might freak them out. but remember it will keep you warm when your cool and cool when you are warm (and it doesn't retain smell either)!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry there are so many spiders! Do they look cool at least (pretty colors and stuff)? Just remember they are more scared of you (that's what I have to keep telling myself)... They also protect you (and soon your garden) from other bugs and stuff.
Your "hut" sounds interesting and cozy! Can't wait to see pictures!

Kathy said...

Hi Kel!!

Remember, you survived 4.5 years in Columbus! You will be OK. Have a nice glass of that famous New Zealand wine at bedtime and you'll be great!

Marms

Anonymous said...

Hi Kel, I don't wish you sleepless nights, but keep up the writing - great entry! I bet that soon enough you will be bravely clearing spiders out of the bathroom for skittish guests. I forgot to suggest mosquito netting as an item to pack. I slept under it successfully in my screen-less dorm room in France. Sounds like it might provide a little peace of mind at night. Zia Christa is starting her care package shopping list...